Billy's pairing for the 2020 Rosé of Mourvèdre! (or the 2020 Rosé of Pinot Noir!)
Tuna Carpaccio With Shaved Fennel And Watermelon
(from Dakota Weiss, chef at Jer-ne at the Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey)
Total time: 15 minutes
1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
1⁄4 cup best quality olive oil
4 ounces best quality yellowfin (or other sushi-grade) tuna
1 small fennel bulb, fronds reserved to garnish plate
1 (3-inch by 2 1⁄2 -inch by 3⁄4 -inch) slice watermelon, rind and white outer edge removed
2 teaspoons Hawaiian black sea salt or other top quality coarse salt
1. To make the lemon oil, combine the lemon zest and the olive oil. Set aside.
2. Thinly slice the tuna (about one-fourth-inch thick), and piece it together into a (5-inch-by-2-inch) rectangle on each of four plates. Drizzle each with about one-half teaspoon lemon oil.
3. Shave the fennel across the grain on a mandoline. Divide into four portions (one-fourth cup each) and place on top of the tuna on each plate.
4. Using a long, sharp knife, cut the watermelon into 16 very thinly sliced 3-inch-long strips. Lay 4 slices over the fennel on each plate.
5. Season with a little sea salt and a drizzle of lemon oil. Garnish the plate with a small pile of black sea salt. Reserve the remaining lemon oil for another use.